Starting May 2020, we will go from a “drop in” group to a closed group (not taking new members). As of April, we will meet on Zoom until we are able to get together in person again.
This is a get together for women interested in meditating, discussing Buddhist teachings and connecting to help support each other’s meditation/life practice. We meet monthly with an intention enjoy a peaceful space while gathering together and building spiritual friendships. I like to think of this get together as a peaceful refuge.
Monthly on Sundays 10:30 a.m – 12:30 p.m. | Downtown San Rafael | Online in April until we are able to meet in person again
- Silent meditation (usually 25 minutes)*
- Walking meditation (we are experimenting with this)
- Tea break
- Group conversation on Buddhist themes (based on an article, dharma talk, interview, etc.) Recent topics have included: generosity and gratitude, impermanence, metta (kindness). Please click here to go to page with readings and other resources.
- Journaling (a few minutes of intention setting or writing/drawing on the theme)
Please bring paper/pen/writing/drawing implements of choice
- Brief individual sharing on the theme (if you would like)/Mindful sharing
- Short closing meditation
- Dedication of merit
- Time to get to know others in the group
*For those who are new to meditation or would like a refresher, I recommend these mindfulness meditation instructions from Gil Fronsdal: https://www.audiodharma.org/talks/audio_player/3279.html
There is a focus on creating connections in a peaceful environment and providing an easy, low key way for everyone to contribute to the conversation. Interested incorporating reading from various Buddhist traditions: mindfulness, Insight/Vipassana, Zen, Tibetan and secular Buddhism.
We meet at a peaceful, art-filled studio dedicated to community, creativity, dharma and shared inquiry.
Both chairs and floor cushions are available. Cushioned floor mats (zabutons) are limited, so if you have a preference for sitting on the floor, please bring a yoga mat (to protect ankles and knees) and use one of our meditation cushions (zafus).
Your $5 contribution will help defray the cost of the meeting room.
There are many cafes and restaurants nearby for those who would like to connect with others in the group before or after the meeting.
About Elizabeth/host and group facilitator: I have been practicing meditation and studying Buddhism with some consistency since 2012. I am interested in learning and connecting with others who have or would like to benefit from these teachings and practices.